On 19 May 2017 at 10:36, Howard Baumer wrote:
> I haven’t run macports for 5+ years and tried updating it.  This is what I
> got.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Or should I just uninstall and
> reinstall?

There are migration instructions:
     https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration

But in some cases (depending on your exact circumstances) MacPorts
only guarantees "compatibility" for one year. It may work longer, but
we certainly don't test what happens with upgrades after five years.

I don't know how to explain your particular problem and didn't try to
look at the sources (it's not even clear to me why MacPorts is being
built from source rather than fetched from the binary archive), but
you probably upgraded a bunch of OSes during those five years. You'll
get least headaches by uninstalling all ports, removing MacPorts and
doing a clean install.

Mojca