On 26 Jan 2018, at 14:54 (-0500), Langer, Stephen A. (Fed) wrote:

I should have included the exact error message. This is what vtk says when it encounters OpenGL from macports mesa:

Warning: In … Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 800
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x7fca59821e00): VTK is designed to work with OpenGL version 3.2 but it appears it has been given a context that does not support 3.2. VTK will run in a compatibility mode designed to work with earlier versions of OpenGL but some features may not work.

The MacPorts version of Mesa is 17.1.6. It took roughly 30 second for me to find this page: https://www.mesa3d.org/relnotes/17.1.6.html

Read the second paragraph in the first section.

I am not familiar with this particular software combination (or the version widgetry of OpenGL) but based on that paragraph and the error message, it seems to me that this is either a vtk bug or a limitation of the underlying driver.

--
Bill Cole
Currently Seeking Steady Work: https://linkedin.com/in/billcole