In Perl it may be necessary to run "h2ph" to convert C *.h files into the equivalent *.ph files e.g. when doing low-level stuff such as ioctl().

I can understand having to do this if one is installing Perl from sources to a new platform, but should this not be part of the Perl port to MacPorts?

I didn't seem to require it on the FreeBSD port, and yes, I'm gonna be comparing the two a lot as I bring a lot of my FreeBSD stuff over to the Mac as well... (And I won't even start on the Penguin breakage.)