On 12 Nov 2018, at 8:57, Riccardo Mottola via macports-users wrote:

Hi,

On 2018-11-09 18:43:56 +0100 Ken Cunningham <ken.cunningham.web...@gmail.com> wrote:

openexr was updated a few days ago

the new library version is  /opt/local/lib/libIlmImf-2_3.24.dylib

it looks like gegl (gegl-0.2) is gone now. Not sure where or when it went.

there is gegl-0.3, gegl-.04, and gegl-devel.

You should most likely uninstall gegl, and install one of the others.

This is what I have :

$ port installed | grep gegl
  gegl @0.2.0-20180218_2+quartz (active)
  gegl-0.4 @0.4.0_0+quartz
  gegl-0.4 @0.4.2_0+quartz
  gegl-0.4 @0.4.6_1+quartz
  gegl-0.4 @0.4.8_0+quartz
  gegl-0.4 @0.4.12_1+quartz
  gegl-0.4 @0.4.12_2+quartz (active)

how can I try uninstalling gegl-0.2 without causing issues? I notice it is the active "gegl" without version suffix.

Which would reflect a port maintenance bug, if you were using a current version of the ports tree. 'gegl' without a suffix is no longer present in the ports tree.

If I try to uninstall gegl:
$ sudo port uninstall gegl
Note: It is not recommended to uninstall/deactivate a port that has dependents as it breaks the dependents.
The following ports will break: gimp2 @2.8.22_2

I wonder if it is correct and ig gimp2 is using gegl-0.4 or generic "gegl" and by that the 0.2 version.

It might be. That's an obsolete version of Gimp, so maybe it needs an obsolete GEGL. That doesn't make much sense if you also have a newer version of GEGL, since the two are intimately connected and the only other port that requires GEGL is 'gnome-photos' and it currently requires 'gegl-0.3' specifically.

If you update to the current version of the 'gimp' port (or of 'gimp2' if you don't have the 'gimp' meta-port installed) you will get the latest version of the 'gegl-0.4' port installed as a dependency.

Is this actually the expected situation? I would have thought I could have older versions, but they should be versioned and that only latest would have no version.

No, that's not how it works. You cannot rely on the current ports tree always following that rule in all cases. This is particularly true for libraries that are being actively developed, because some dependents may not work with the latest version of the library while others are updated to require it.

To fix this, you should update your ports tree ('port sync' or 'port selfupdate') and then 'gimp' (or 'gimp2' if you don't have the 'gimp' meta-port installed) and 'port reclaim' when finished to clean up any of the old useless versions.