On 15 Nov 2018, at 0:50, j...@tigger.ws wrote:

I have installed macports many times, so I’m not naive about what to do. I’ve never seen this. Can anyone point out my way forward:

[twill] /Users/jam [15]% ping rsync.macports.org
PING ftp.rrze.uni-erlangen.de (131.188.12.211): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 131.188.12.211: icmp_seq=0 ttl=41 time=541.214 ms
64 bytes from 131.188.12.211: icmp_seq=1 ttl=41 time=457.434 ms
…
^C
--- ftp.rrze.uni-erlangen.de ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 9 packets received, 10.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 440.591/552.447/681.501/79.577 ms

You have a somewhat poor connection to rsync.macports.org, which is (as implied by the canonical name) in Germany. Even assuming that the lost packet is an artifact of the ^C and hence ignorable, the TTL on the replies says that you're 24 hops away and the times are long and very noisy. Are you in Australia? New Zealand? The Maldives? An over-subscribed dialup link in a flat in Berlin?

[twill] /Users/jam [16]% sudo port -v  selfupdate
Password:
--->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Operation timed out (60)

That's what one would expect from a VERY poor link, something much worse than your ping results would imply. Or from a path that simply isn't letting the rsync traffic through at all. This is absolutely a networking problem.

If you've been able to sync or selfupdate on the same link before, it isn't something inherent in your local network. If you were running something like LittleSnitch or LuLu you'd know it and probably get an alert regarding the blocked traffic or at least have experience with mysterious outbound blockages.

My *guess* is that this is outside of your control and that it will clear up in a relatively short time: hours to maybe a day or two. There's been substantial weirdness in global routing this week (A Nigerian ISP hijacked Google's & CloudFlare's traffic and aimed it at China by way of Russia, where it was blackholed. Not kidding.) It would not be a surprise to see a lot of transit providers, particularly inter-continental ones, making lots of new tighter route filtering policies on an urgent basis all at once and relying on the network to eventually stabilize after a period of strange behavior. Apart from the "oops" in Nigeria, there's been some press recently about China Telecom doing sketchy things with their routing to make networks paranoid.

--
Bill Cole