On 19 Feb 2019, at 8:13, S. L. Garwood via macports-users wrote:

So my philosophical question is “Why MacPorts these days?”

Because running the tools it provides in a VM is a grotesque waste of RAM and disk space and puts a wall up between tools I want to use occasionally and the UI where I prefer to work mostly.

Also, on one old 1st generation Core Duo iMac, it helps me to build and run a suite of server software and other key tools that can face the Internet with reasonable safety and an attack surface that doesn't quite look like any other machine while seeming irresistible to a certain class of miscreants. I have a professional interest in the unique behavioral intelligence I get from that machine that I cannot get anywhere else. It would be a serious chore to maintain that host as 'live bait' without MacPorts and I hate the idea of just discarding a machine that would otherwise have no practical use.

--
Bill Cole