On 20 Feb 2019, at 16:23, Alejandro Imass wrote:

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 10:48 AM Mojca Miklavec <mo...@macports.org> wrote:

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 16:33, Bill Cole wrote:

The departure of MacPorts from Mac OS Forge as it was
being wound down was announced in

https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2016-August/033405.html

While I wouldn't mind if Apple continued to provide hardware building
capacity, the move to GitHub probably saved (and boosted) the project.

Exactly my point. There is no such "abandonment" from Apple to MacPorts, or
any Open Source projects around macOS or anything like that.

In fact there has been. There is no longer a functioning syslog(3) subsystem on macOS. This causes substantial difficulties for otherwise portable server software, as shown by the recent addition of an internal logging subsystem for Postfix. They have also ceased development and packaging of the customized versions of many open source tools which were formerly part of the Server.app bundle. The increasingly restrictive defaults of SIP, sandboxing, code-signing, and a preference App Store software are all OSS-hostile, even if that's not their main intent.

Whether or not you consider a trend that has been running for ~4 years "recent" or not is a subjective judgment. Apple substantially supported MacPorts and the other Mac OS Forge projects for 10 years, which ended less than 3 years ago.

--
Bill Cole