On Aug 15, 2019, at 2:53 PM, Gerben Wierda <gerben.wie...@rna.nl> wrote:
> Now, that says that syslog messages also end up in Unified Logging. What it
> doesn’t say how for instance old style messages for facility mail with level
> notice end up there. Or with facility daemon with level info. So, how to get
> these out is still a riddle.

They show up in unified logging. I found reading through the various manpages
to be helpful - and there's an old WWDC video that you might find interesting:
https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/721/

> Why did Apple leave all the ASL stuff in place if it isn’t functional
> anymore? It’s still there in Mojave. Why did they not offer a decent
> compatibility? Afraid people would not move to OS-specific log commands? Sigh.

Stuff compiled against previous versions of Mac OS X continues to work using
the 'old' stuff (ie, if you built your own postfix and then upgraded your OS -
it would still log the way it had done previously). I had a bunch of
syslog.conf stuff that I moved to asl.conf that I now just don't have (or have
half-replaced with use of the 'log' command). I find using 'log' to find logs
much worse than using text-processing tools on text files - but we have to work
with what we get from Apple.

--
Daniel J. Luke