I asked the question because EtreCheck Pro reports
/Applications/MacPorts/Octave.app to be 32-bit. On the other hand, macOS System
 Information > Software does not list octave at all, either as 32-bit or as
64-bit!

Command

port -v installed octave

does show archs='x86_64' but it was unclear to me whether that applies to the
octave.app front end to the octave engine.

> On 11 Oct2019, at 8:00 AM, macports-users-requ...@lists.macports.org wrote:
>
> Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 22:25:03 +0100
> From: Christopher Jones <jon...@hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
> <mailto:jon...@hep.phy.cam.ac.uk>>
> To: MacPorts Users <macports-us...@lists.macosforge.org
> <mailto:macports-us...@lists.macosforge.org>>
> Subject: Re: Octave.app 64-bit?
>
> Unless you are installing something universal, or i386, it will be 64 bit
> (i.e. x86_64 arch).
>
> ( Also, by construction, if the port finds and runs on macOS 10.15 it will
> have to be 64 bit… )
>
>> On 10 Oct 2019, at 10:12 pm, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenb...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:murrayeisenb...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Is the current version of octave.app, installed with octave+app, 64-bit and
>> hence compatible with Catalina?
>>
>> if not, what are the prospects?
>>
>> In general, is there any way to tell which macports ports are, or are not,
>> 64-bit?
>>
>> ---
>> Murray Eisenberg                     murrayeisenb...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:murrayeisenb...@gmail.com>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 17:46:52 -0400
> From: "Bill Cole" <macportsusers-20171...@billmail.scconsult.com
> <mailto:macportsusers-20171...@billmail.scconsult.com>>
> To: macports-users@lists.macports.org
> <mailto:macports-users@lists.macports.org>
> Subject: Re: Octave.app 64-bit?
>
> On 10 Oct 2019, at 17:25, Christopher Jones wrote:
>
>> Unless you are installing something universal, or i386, it will be 64
>> bit (i.e. x86_64 arch).
>
> Also, you can check the architecture of whatever is actually installed
> with:
>
>  port -v installed <portname>

---
Murray Eisenberg                        murrayeisenb...@gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667        Mobile (413)-427-5334