The bsdtar command seems to work fine outside of the scripts. This is a fresh
installation of Catalina and MacPorts, so there are extraneous installs of
bsdtar or libarchive etc

The custom prefix is just personal preference; The Catalina binaries aren’t
being built yet so I am in the same situation in any case.