Ryan said in the ticket that it's an incompatibility with libical @3.0.6. So I
reverted to libical @2.0.0_2. Since I'd already removed the old version, I got
the Portfile for it from
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/macports/macports-ports/b13a0bc91860171ed715b3705c103138720537ee/devel/libical/Portfile

put that in an empty directory, cd'd to that directory, and ran port install
(no port name, so it uses the Portfile in the current directory); that gave me
back the older version of libical.

I still couldn't upgrade kdepimlibs4, but at  least all the rev-upgrade errors
went away.

I guess that means that until the ticket is resolved, I don't want to upgrade
either libical or kdepimlibs4.