I had to upgrade to 10.15 (wanted to postpone this further but ...) and recall that there were many reports over the last months of problems with subsequent macports upgrade, recommendations to use previous xcode releases with catalina and assorted package specific problems simply not being solvable right now.

I have looked at the mail archive and macports webpage but have not found a clear recommendation or statement what the current situation (as of jan 2020) is.

so simple question: is it save/recommended to use current xcode (11.3) when doing the usual macports migration routine? are there guaranteed problems in certain packages/areas? or is everything back
to normal (most things will work, some might not...)?

thank you