On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 at 12:47, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:
> > On Feb 15, 2020, at 05:45, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> >
> >  (We should set up a database of all the
> > files provided by the individual packages at some point.)
>
> Variants complicate that, I think.

Yes, variants definitely complicate that, but having a database of
files provided by the default variants would already be enormously
helpful.

Buildbot already prints the list of files as it builds ports. All we
need is to enter those data into the web app, no need to crowdsource
information collection, and crowdsourcing (telemetry) would not by
itself solve the problem of someone needing to do the coding necessary
to make the information nicely accessible and searchable (within the
scope of the website made last year during GSOC).

As far as accurate info goes: you cannot get that unless you really
build every single port with every single variant combination. And
even then you might get ports which opportunistically find
dependencies and change behaviour based on that, so the info would not
be 100% accurate anyway.

> So much as I'd enjoy the quick response it might provide, I wonder about the
> real-world utility given the effort (and what else might benefit more from
> the effort).

I'm not sure I understood what you wanted to ask / say here.

Mojca

Mojca