On Dec 28, 2020, at 23:05, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> On Dec 28, 2020, at 3:35 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Dec 27, 2020, at 10:11, Ken Cunningham wrote:
>>
>>> However, I would float the idea it's time the buildbot and all 10.13 users
>>> moved to Xcode 10.
>>>
>>> Xcode 10's issues have largely been worked around by this point it seems,
>>> although there a couple of stragglers still.
>>
>> I intentionally keep most of the buildbot workers' Xcode versions at the
>> last version that contains the SDK that matches the OS version. On macOS
>> 10.13, that's Xcode 9.4.1.
>
> I do fully get this idea, however:
>
> Once Xcode 10 came out, 10.13 users around the world moved to use it. 90% of
> users are on homebrew, and they do not hold back their Xcode version on 10.13
> to Xcode 9.
>
> So —
>
> If software had an issue artificially finding 10.14 features that were not
> supported on 10.13, and we have seen that some did, these have by now been
> managed by appropriate tests and fixes. We have seen this in many cases with
> the clock functionality features, etc.
>
> So - now, some years in — I believe there is more to lose by not having the
> current Xcode and the slightly newer SDK than there is to be gained by
> holding back to Xcode 9 and the 10.13 SDK.

I'm pretty sure that Homebrew does not have exactly the same set of software
that MacPorts does, so it seems likely that we still have some ports that would
be affected by this that have not already been fixed by Homebrew's efforts.

My other concern specific to Xcode 10 on macOS 10.13 is whether this would
remove the ability to build i386 software, which is something I want to retain.