On 08.03.21 21:01, Rainer Müller wrote:
On 08/03/2021 17.44, joerg van den hoff wrote:
Now, after the data transfer completed, on the new machine I do have a
(seemingly/so far) working Macports installation: Migration Assistant actually
transferred the stuff in /opt, too.

BUT, when now trying to selfupdate on the new machine, I get the
message/warning:

Warning: Failed to copy com.apple.dt.Xcode.plist to
/opt/local/var/macports/home/Library/Preferences: could not set owner for file
"/opt/local/var/macports/home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dt.Xcode.plist":
user "macports" does not exist

although `finger macports' reports for the new machine that the user is known

Login: macports                   Name: MacPorts
Directory: /opt/local/var/macports/home    Shell: /usr/bin/false
Never logged in.
No Mail.
No Plan.

as does `id macports'.

what am I missing?

thanks for your reply.

I am not sure, but it might be that the message shown above is a bit inaccurate
and it is the "macports" group that is missing?

the message says it can't set the *owner* so it seems to actually mean _user_
does not exist, no?

Please check that the user and group do exist for dscl (Directory Services):

   dscl . -read /Users/macports
   dscl . -read /Groups/macports

yes, they do (no error messages, some reporting of properties). so I really don't see what is missing or has been broken by an seemingly incomplete transfer of information from the old machine.... basically, I don't understand how the machine can complain about "non-existent user macports" despite this seemingly not being true.

In any case, running the MacPorts install either from the .dmg or from source
once again should recreate both the user and group named "macports".

just to be sure: re-installing will not confuse/corrupt the database regarding what is already installed via macports? I would prefer to keep /opt/local intact and usable...

best,
joerg

Rainer