SSD RAID offers speed and fault tolerance.

Simple options that are tolerant to a single disk failure are:

Free/one extra SSD: Use macOS Disk Utility to RAID 1 together two smaller,
inexpensive SSD drives for 100% redundancy.
OWC ThunderBay 4 Mini, $279: Use macOS Disk Utility to RAID 1 together four
smaller, inexpensive SSD drives for 100% redundancy and larger capacity.
OWC ThunderBay 4 Mini with SoftRAID, $379: Use SoftRAID to RAID 4 together four
smaller, inexpensive SSD drives for 100% redundancy and even larger capacity.
(Caveats: no encryption, no boot volumes.)