On 2021-05-10 at 11:43:56 UTC-0400 (Mon, 10 May 2021 17:43:56 +0200)
Bjarne D Mathiesen <macint...@mathiesen.info>
is rumored to have said:

Daniel J. Luke wrote:
On May 9, 2021, at 12:20 PM, Gerben Wierda via macports-users <macports-users@lists.macports.org> wrote:
Anyway, the hard lesson was: reclaim is not ’safe’. I thought, reclaim would only remove inactive installs, but it removed active ones as well.

It is not possible for me to retrace what went wrong exactly, sadly.

The first thing reclaim does is this:

--->  Checking for unnecessary unrequested ports
Unrequested ports without requested dependents found:

If you (like me) have an MacPorts install that pre-dates the requested flag, you'll have a bunch of ports in that list that you don't actually want uninstalled. For reclaim to work best, you need to do `port setrequested` on the ports you want to always keep - then the list of ports you see there will be stuff that got installed that you no longer need. (You can also mark things 'unrequested', see the port manpage - so you can fix things up if you mistakenly mark something requested that you don't want).

Or, you can just hit 'n' for the first prompt.

so, doing something like this :

port -q installed \

Better:

  port -q installed active \

Since the 'installed' pseudo-port includes deactivated ports, which are left by default after upgrades.

| awk '{print $1}' \
| xargs -n1 port setrequested

before the first use of 'port reclaim' would be advisable

I (luckily) didn't get burned, but I deemed 'port reclaim' to be unsafe
in automatic update scripts. In my case eg git was set up for reclaim.

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
Korsør ; Danmark ; Europa

--