I am behind a firewall, so this is the following is predictable:

$ sudo port -v selfupdate
--->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Operation timed out (60)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at
/AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-54.120.1/rsync/clientserver.c(106)
 [receiver=2.6.9]
Command failed: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzvl --delete-after
rsync://rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/base.tar
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs
Exit code: 10
Error: Error synchronizing MacPorts sources: command execution failed