On Mar 10, 2022, at 03:18, Sriranga Veeraraghavan wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2022, at 00:34, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Mar 9, 2022, at 17:13, James Secan wrote:
>>>
>>> when I run "port upgrade installed -u outdatedā€
>>
>> This command doesn't make a great deal of sense. You're asking MacPorts to
>> upgrade the "installed" ports (which includes those those that are outdated
>> and those that aren't) and also the "outdated" ports (those that are
>> outdated). It would be simpler and more efficient to just run "sudo port -u
>> upgrade outdated". Single-dash/single-letter flags like "-u" go after "port"
>> and before the action (the action in this case being "upgrade").
>
> Thanks for clarifying,

In fact I should clarify further that the "installed" pseudoport includes not
only active ports but also inactive ports (which are never considered
outdated), so running "upgrade installed" does make MacPorts do quite a bit of
extra work that can be avoided by running "upgrade outdated".

> I mis-typed the command I normally use (which you mentioned below):
>
> $ sudo port -u upgrade outdated
>
> Based on your description, it may be safer to just do:
>
> $ sudo port upgrade outdated
>
> and periodically run:
>
> $ sudo port reclaim
>
> I have never seen a reminder to run port reclaim, but my macports
> installation is old and I may have messed with the config files at some point
> and forgotten about it.

"port reclaim --enable-reminders" enables reminders;
"port reclaim --disable-reminders" disables them.