On 2022-05-21 at 15:24:23 UTC-0400 (Sat, 21 May 2022 15:24:23 -0400)
Andrew Udvare <audv...@gmail.com>
is rumored to have said:

> Rather than pull via version control,

Which is MY GOAL, not an incidental mechanical issue.

> grab a tarball with the SHA you want.

Which would mean creating an ad hoc tarball before each (rapid) update.

> That's how I do 'latest' version ports.

Well, that requires:

1. creating a tarball
2. calculating the hashes
3. editing the portfile

Which is a lot of fiddling for each new version.
My goal is to NOT do all that, but to get the same installation that I would
get if I did. It is also to have a way that non-developer users can easily
install the actual latest version of the moment, which is sometimes the easiest
way to get fixes that don't merit a full release.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire