There was a time when the only version of gcc that built on arm64 was
gcc-devel/libgcc-devel. So ports put a specific dependency on that on arm. This
was a long time ago now.  It got things built.

Then various gcc versions came out, gcc-12, gcc-13 that would build on arm64
(with extra patches, but would build). So the dependency on
gcc-devel/libgcc-devel was removed.

But there are situations where if you had already installed some ports, you
were stuck in the gcc-devel loop due to recorded variant history. Or if you had
gcc-devel installed / libgcc-devel, it just kept on getting updated.

None of this is ideal... It was just "expedient" as a Way To Get Things Done
when things are imperfect.

Same thing happens with perl and python and other supporting ports.

MacPorts has been trying to purge all this kind of stuff out of the ports tree
-- but it's hard, and complicated, and there is still lots and lots of it in
there. Josh has made specific changes to try to reduce this recorded clutter.

What I do is keep track of the ports I actually want installed by using
"requested".

Then every so often I delete all my ports, and reinstall them all freshly (not
using the restore script, as that records the old variants I'm trying to get
rid of) to pick up all the new defaults that have crept in over the period of
time since I did it last.

By doing that, you get all the new perl versions, python versions, gcc
versions, etc.

Ken