On 2023-11-25 at 22:37:18 UTC-0500 (Sat, 25 Nov 2023 19:37:18 -0800)
Mark Dm <markos...@gmail.com>
is rumored to have said:

I am trying to install gedit on mac , installed macports, then the xcode requirements rand the command to install gedit. Now about 209 minutes later
I am still seeing GARBAGE like GstreamerXXX and GstreamerYYY still
installing . THIS IS NUTS! I NEVER ASKED TO INSTALL GSTREAMER. I know there are dependencies but how can gstreamer be a dependency for a text editor?

It is on EL-based Linux as well. 'dnf install gedit' on Alma9 comes back with a list of 170 packages including multiple gstreamer* packages. CentOS7 says it's got 108 dependencies.

It's a GUI text editor. It requires a GUI. Complain to GNOME.

WTF now it is installing something called "yelp"

That's the help browser for the GNOME desktop. I have no idea how essential it is for gedit, but it's deemed a "runtime" dependency, implying that it may be possible to create a variant that does not include help files or require yelp...

I remember now I tried MacPorts years ago and ended up having to reformat my Mac to get all the speed back after the couple of apps I installed. I
regret trying it again and thing it is all a bunch of GARBAGE

Is this juist a method by which you can install garbageware onto a mac for
unsuspecting users?

I invite you to look at what MacPorts actually does. It's mostly TCL code which is documented and its operations are logged to whatever degree you desire to read.

If you deem the GNOME Desktop to be "garbageware" then I suggest that gedit is not the editor you really want.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire