Can you think of anything, esp. edge cases, that might break if you didn't
change the PortGroup version, that wouldn't break (but might require otherwise
not strictly needed rebuilds) if you did change the version?

Can you test any that you think of?

Are all the repositories reliably consistent/compatible?

Would anything that depends on octave be affected?

My feeling is that version numbers should be incremented for any change that
might not be transparent (not counting build time messages that are only for
human eyes or logging). Maybe even for changes that don't affect the result,
simply to make the fact of the change more visible, unless incrementing the
version number otherwise unnecessarily would risk problems of its own.

Note: I don't pretend to understand how all this works or anything about octave
in particular, so I may be imagining problems that don't exist, or failing to
imagine some that might. But as long as it doesn't interfere with work being
done, I tend to think that there's no such thing as too much paranoia. :-)

I dimly recall getting a repair on a Sony Trinitron TV years ago, where the
repair shop told me I should prefer the extra wait time and cost to obtain and
use an OEM power transistor rather than one of nominally identical specs,
because it was used for two different purposes at once (power and sync?) and
driven hard, and substitutes wouldn't last long. That's one of those things
that unless it's documented, one only would find out by hard experience. So
documenting everything earlier may prevent problems later. In software, esp. if
any part of building (or a human) might behave differently based on version
number, I'd also regard version number as part of that precautionary
documentation.