On May 22, 2024, at 16:25, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> I was able to circumvent this autoconf failure by installing gettext before
> installing dovecot, I don't know if that is the best solution, but ot works
> (as in, it now installs).

Yes that is the solution and I committed it here:

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/8addb4df7ea4e8da28e059e28052f68b8bad02cb

Only when you use the +apns variant, dovecot regenerates the configure script
from configure.ac (because it applies a patch to configure.ac). configure.ac
references the AM_ICONV macro so the port that provides that macro must be
present at build time. From its name it seems like the AM_ICONV macro should be
provided by the libiconv port but for whatever reason it's actually provided by
the gettext port.