Hi, I was thinking that it may time to update the GemSpec to support another
variable called required_ruby_implementation.  Thus, I filled an enhancement
request
https://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&aid=27269&group_id=126&atid=578

At this time, the GemSpec supports required_ruby_version but says nothing
about the implementation.  Also, it may be a good time to start upgrading
RubyGems as new Ruby implementation are currently in development or has been
released like JRuby.

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Keith Gautreaux
<keith.gautre...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Presumably Macruby gems will be installed with macgem?  Certainly, we
> would not want to fork RubyGems, but since the Gem::Platform spec
> exists shouldn't macgem only install gems whose Gem::Platform::RUBY is
> MacRuby?

The platform here seems to refer more to the type of OS.  Thus,
Gem::Platform::Ruby means
any OS which is a bit misleading.  Are we talking about the OS or the Ruby
implementation?

> For projects like JRuby and Rubinius it makes sense to always have
> Gem::Platform::RUBY == 'ruby', but isn't MacRuby a superset of Ruby
> the way Objective-C is a superset of C?

Yes, MacRuby would be considered a superset because Ruby has been
implemented on top
of the Objective-C runtime.  This is similar to JRuby, IronRuby, and so on.
 Furthermore, it
might be wise to consider that both Rubinius and JRuby may create gems that
are specific
to their respective implementations.

> As long as RubyGems prevents installation of gems whose
> Gem::Platform::RUBY == 'MacRuby' on stock YARV installations I think
> this approach is reasonable, but IANEH (I Am Not Eric Hodel).

'macgem list -r' to retrieve all the gems that are compatible with MacRuby.
 I have dealt with
this issue with Ruby 1.8.6 and 1.9.1 and it was a nightmare because
required_ruby_version
wasn't added to the GemSpec for the gem in question.  Now, the complexity
grows with new
implementations of Ruby.

Just my 2 cents,

-Conrad