Howdy

There are actually multiple programs for doing this.  Some come with
all sorts of bells and whistles which enable you to browse your ipod
and they cost.  Others are simple and free, with like one or two
buttons, one of which just starts arbitrarily copying all the songs to
your computer.  Let's see what we can come up with.

If you know a few basic commands in terminal you may try this one

http://www.instructables.com/id/Getting-music-off-an-iPod-using-Mac-OS-X/

it looks fun because you don't have to get any extra programs to
clutter up your mac harddrive.  Basically all you do is plug the ipod
in, go to terminal, type

cd /Volumes/your\ ipod/ipod\ control

something like that.  This takes you to a hidden driectory called ipod
control.  You go into music

cd Music

and from there you can open files in the ipod, automatically copying
them to iTunes.  The URL explains it better.

Here is a program called ipod disk.
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19890/ipoddisk

looks like a basic program to copy music to the ipod, I'm sorry to say
that I couldn't look at the interface to see its accessibility since I
don't have an ipod plugged in here, but you can do so by opening it
from the disk image instead of copying it to your apps folder.  That
way you don't have to worry about cluttering your apps older with
inaccessible software.

Here is another do-it-with-mac-os-x solution like the first one I
mentioned.  This one seems to involve some other terminal commands to
enable you to view the iPod contents through the finder.

http://www.applesource.com.au/ipod/soa/Get-songs-off-your-Mac-based-iPod/0,2000070791,339287603,00.htm

It mentions that you need to put iPod into disk mode.  I bet you have
to do this with the otherone too. Basically all that means is that you
tell the ipod to act as any other external hard drive that you would
plug into your mac, making it appear as a volume in the finder rather
than only in iTunes.  That is explained here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1363

If none of these work for you just email back.  I remember I did this
once upon a time when my iPod used to work, its definitely possible
with a little googling.

Regards
Justin Harford