Thanks for your suggestion.  It turns out my problem was a little more
complicated, and required more than a purge.  It seems that I was
getting multiple copies of the same messages, and gmail along with
Mail,  didn't want me to be without them.  I found an article that
seems to have solved the problem and spiffed up my mailbox sidebar at
the same time.  Here is a link if anyone is having undesired behavior
in  their gmail Imap account.
http://db.tidbits.com/article/10253?print_version=1

Regards,

Brett