I think if you did this, you would need to write it too its own
function. Generally the events I have seen for AppleScript are not as
widely  available as for example in jaws.

There are "Folder Action" scripts that can do special functions when a
file is added to or removed from a folder. ( I was thinking of
investigating these for automating some things with my downloads
folder and my Victor Stream).

In terms of mail there is no ""read message" event. You can certainly
have a script that gets the selected message and looks at the text
body  I would then expect you could tell Voice Over to change based on
that. So that part should be fairly easy.

I I would start by opening the mail scrip dictionary.

You should be able to first
try
tell application "mail"
set theText to  the body of the seled
speek theText
end tell

If you can get that to work then try doing  a search of the body and
get that to respond.
Then you can say something like
if isFrench
tell application "Voice Over"