Hi Rich,
    You should have simply gone to the install disk on the Thumb drive and
installed Mavericks.  Then, selected your internal drive as your target disk.
That is all you'd have to do.  I've done it four times now without any problems.

Take Care

John D. Panarese
Director
Mac for the Blind
Tel, (631) 724-4479
Email, j...@macfortheblind.com
Website, http://www.macfortheblind.com

APPLE CERTIFIED SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL FOR MAC OSX LION