The option key. On my system the external disk was one or two right arrows.
Although, the start up disk did not show up in system preferences the start up
disk worked this time, but often the start up disk will not work if it isn`t in
system preferences. There is a accessible little program that will do what you
ask in after holding th option key. Don`t remember the name, but it should be
in the archive. Remember to try command + f5 after booting the external drive
after some time if it is silence. If you boot into trouble, just hit the power
on button and restart after a minute and OSX will boot into the chosen hard
drive in system preferences. Although, you may see the external hard drive
after pressing option key, it may not work and there will be a black screen
with only silence. Use the power on button to turn off.

Take care