Hi,

It appears to be an automatic thing when you have the Download in the
Background" checkbox checked in the AppStore pane of System Preferences.  I
believe that if you uncheck this box, those messages won't always come up.
Other than that, you could turn on "Do Not Disturb" in the Notification Centre
and those alerts wouldn't happen.  Then again, no alerts would which maybe is
what you are hoping for.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada