Hi Shannon,

If you go into the Utilities folder in your applications folder, and go into
Disk Utility app, you can format your disk from there. You'll probably want to
do a clean installation of Mavericks, and format your disk from the options
before you install Mavericks, but the process is the same.
Once you get to Disk Utility, you'll select your HD from the disks table, and
choose the "erase" tab. You can then erase the disk, and its partitions, which
will get rid of the XP one and leave the drive free for Mavericks.
Rachel