Hi, what you are referring to sounds like moving to regions with Control
arrows. There is no such command in numbers that I am aware of. I was a big
Excel fan and I too found this to be a problem at first. But, because numbers
uses a canvas system as opposed to a large spreadsheet, with tables being
placed on the canvas and containing data, there are no spaces between datasets
like in excel.
I solve the problem of large spreadsheets by using a large number of smaller
tables to contain my data. Then, if needed, I can filter the table for the data
I want to see. Usually the tables are small enough that I don't have any
trouble navigating them and finding what I'm looking for.
as to selecting columns and rows, you can simply press shift command arrow keys
to select from the current cell to the last cell in the row or column.
Also, you can access the entire  column  or row for sorting and filtering and
other functions by pressing shift VO slash ( above the return key), then arrow
up or down to the row or column selector, and then arrow keys to move to the
desired row or column. bring up the context menu (VO shift M) to sort the
row/column etc.

I was skeptical at first about numbers vs Excel, but I've transferred my entire
personal accounting system over to numbers and find it superior to excel in
many ways. The formula editor is a vast improvement over that of excel and I'm
getting so I like the canvas arrangement over excel's one large spreadsheet
system. It's better for data organization in my opinion.
There's a lot of messages on the Mail-archive.com site about numbers. Just keep
asking your numbers questions here if you can't find what you need there.