I do the startup disk option all the time, and it works perfectly. I even set
up a hotkey, cmd-option-comma, to open System Preferences because I found
myself in there a lot. I'm sure some sort of Applescript could make the process
even simpler, but this works for now.
On Jun 3, 2014, at 12:56 PM, Teresa Cochran <batsfly...@me.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Chris. Yes, I had that concern about the option-key method as well.
> The startup-disk option in Disk Utility sounds like a workable method.
>
> Thanks,
> teresa
>
> “Everything is interesting if you go into it deeply enough.”—Richard P.
> Feynman
>
> On Jun 3, 2014, at 9:48 AM, 'Chris Blouch' via MacVisionaries
> <macvisionaries@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
>> While I haven't tried it, you should be able to partition your drive to
>> appear as two separate disks with disk utility. Depending on how full the
>> current drive is you might be able to shrink the existing partition enough
>> to make room for Yosemite. Then you would install Yosemite on that new
>> drive. As far as switching startup drives, you should be able to do that by
>> going to System Preferences and picking which drive to start from and then
>> reboot. While you can also do this by holding down the option key while
>> booting, I suspect that way is not accessible since there won't be an OS
>> running yet to host voiceover.
>>
>> CB
>>
>> On 6/3/14, 12:40 PM, Teresa Cochran wrote:
>>> A follow-up thought I had was that if I want to switch partitions, could I
>>> go into the recovery partition and choose one as the startup? This at least
>>> would be accessible with VO.
>>>
>>> Teresa
>>>
>>> “The golden age of science fiction is twelve.”—Pete graham

>> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Have a great day,
Alex Hall
mehg...@icloud.com