The device essentially tricks the GPU into being used, which speeds up OS X
rendering the UI.  You need a similar thing to run OpenCL applications on
Windows.  I'm not sure whether or if Linux can be made to work without it, but
if I do put Linux on a Mini I'll try it both ways.

Yes, the device is essentially a dummy.

Mac Mini is still available in the "Server" version, which essentially licenses
OS X Server to the purchaser, with twin SSDs and 16 GB of RAM.  I have to
wonder when Apple will next release, but I'm happy with the one I already have
on my desktop, and was wondering whether it wouldn't be more useful as a
satellite desktop rather than one of my servers with this dongle plugged into
it.  It's now very usable, almost as good as having an always-on laptop.

Cheers,
Sabahattin