as far as I know, smart mailboxes are a feature in apples mail app.

How I set up for uncategorized unread messages:
1 create a smart mailbox called unread messages
2. set condition for all of the following:
        a. messages are in mailbox: inbox
        b. messages are unread
        c. messages are not in (insert name of other smart mailboxes here)
        d. repeat c as needed.

Anything not in a smart mailbox (such as macvisionairies) will show up in
unread messages (so long as all conditions are met). Since I have membership in
at least 40 different blindness related mailing lists, its pretty easy to sort.
anything not in those smart mailboxes will still be displayed in unread
messages. I do not know if other mailing clients/apps have this feature.

-eric