I haven't quite read every post in this thread, but to contribute my two cents
to help our understanding:
I am running iOS 8.0.2 on an iPHone 6 and Yosemite on a mid 2011 MacBook Air
and I am able to answer and make cellular calls on my MacBook. This is a relief
as I only read last night that my 2011 MacBook Air does not support handoff or
instant hotspot even though it has bluetooth low energy. At least it seems I
will be able to use the phone and SMS relay.