Try one more thing. I think I can get it to happen consistently now.
Interact with the message, then immediately press VO-left arrow, and then press
VO-right arrow. Pressing VO-left arrow first to the header area rather than the
message text seems to then make the buttons appear.
If you still don't get the same behaviour I'll try and make a recording or
something. Might be useful for you and bug reporting to Apple accessibility.
By the way, Alex, great work with your excellent coverage and bug reporting for
Yosemite, both here and on AppleVis!