Hello
Well, to your question, in order for this to be implemented when you press
option to select the boot device, this will have to be implemented at the EFI
level. That is, it will have to be baked into the actual from work which boots
your device. Since the transition to Intel, all Macintoshes have used EFI to
boot their systems.

Sent from my iPhone