I too am noticing exactly the same behavior that you are describing Tim.  With
me, it's absoutely consistant.

Sincerely,
the Constantly Barefooted Ray, Still a very happy Mac and iphone user!
Sent from my Mac, the only computer with full accessibility for the blind
built-in and fully protected by ClamXav Antivirus!