There is a lot in your mail but to deal they the first point first, are you
using Alex as your voice. On my 2011 iMac the difference between using Alex and
Daniel is dramatic.
With Daniel my machine is so sluggish it is virtually unusable but with Alex it
is quite snappy.

If you were using scansoft voices like Daniel or Samantha  I would personally
start again with another clean install and this time as soon as the system
loads change to Alex as the default voice and then see how you go.

Then you can start reimporting your music etc.

David Griffith