As I recall, if you have the VM sharing, it doesn’t set an upper limit.

From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com [mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com]
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2014 2:48 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: A VM Fusion question about disks

Right, but there is a limit to the expansion. So if you set up a Windows VM
with a 40GB automatically expanding drive Windows will say it's a 40GB drive
but on the Mac it might initially only use 10GB. As you add apps and such it
will grow but only up to 40GB. I've never run into this but I assume Windows
will start to complain when you get near the limit. So how much free space do
you currently have on your mac HD?

CB