First, commanders in the VoiceOver Utility. You could use a keystroke on the
keyboard, or (depending on what computer you have) the numpad or trackpad.
Here's an article about commanders I wrote for AppleVis:
http://www.applevis.com/guides/mac-os-x/understanding-and-using-voiceovers-commanders

Second, you can make your own script for this, it's not terrible.
Unfortunately, it's not trivial either, as there is no simple command to just
grab the battery level (why? No clue.) I have a set of scripts that can do this
and more, though, so feel free to download them and give them a try. I made
them so you can easily customize what they say and how they say it, by changing
the template used when they run. The zip file in the below link includes a
Readme file that explains all this in way more detail. Enjoy.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17005121/talking%20dashboard.zip
> On Feb 7, 2015, at 2:25 PM, Aleeha Dudley <blindcowgirl1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello All,
> I am writing with a couple of questions. First, where do I go to assign a
> keystroke to a task, such as opening an app or speaking the time and date?
> Also, I know that somewhere there is a script that will allow me to make
> voiceover announce the status of my battery. Does anyone know where I can get
> this script file and how to make it work?
> Thanks.
> Aleeha Dudley and Seeing Eye Dog Dallas
> Vice President, Ohio Association of Guide Dog Users
> Vice President, Ohio Association of Blind Students
> Both proud divisions of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio
> Email: blindcowgirl1...@gmail.com <mailto:blindcowgirl1...@gmail.com>
> blindness is not what holds you back.
> “The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse’s ears.” - Arabian
> proverb

Have a great day,
Alex Hall
mehg...@icloud.com