Hi,
Verry interesting to look at all your replies.  On the subject of delayed
Apple may in fact employ private API's that are non-published, and
therefore are undocumented.  Remember that Apple controls the entire
software stack, so they would have access to proprietary software
optimizations that could be non-published.  Then again, it may be a case of
less than standard hardware.  We should run a memory profile analysis  to
see where any potential bottlenecks are. Mainly, what is the memory
footprint used by the Alex voice specifically? Back to the API situation
for a bit, and then I'll post this.  We already know that the Alex voice is
probably running as a part of a system-wide service. Perhaps the "private"
API's (if, in fact their are any) may give the process higher resource
utilization when its in active use. i.e. speaking text. This may account
partially for the standards of responsiveness.