For iPhoto it's in Preferences > General > Connecting Camera Opens where you can choose what it should launch, including No Application.

For iTunes you need to connect your phone then wait for iTunes to launch. Once you're there you need to pull up the summary for your device. At the bottom is an Options section with several checkboxes. The first is Automatically sync when this iPhone is connected. Uncheck that box.

CB