Hello all,
I have a spreadsheet with two header rows and two header columns. The Leftmost
header row lists each month. The second header row list individual transactions
for each month. The leftmost header row is a merged cell so that all of the
January transactions fall into the January header. I do something similar with
my columns. I have a top header row for utilities and then below it, columns
for gas, electricity, internet, etc. In the numbers help files I see that I can
use the outside header to refer to the series of rows or columns, and it works
if I want to do something like calculate a total for one column in the month of
January, etc. Is it possible to calculate a total for all my utilities columns
for the month of January without having to specify the specific range of cells?
I realize I can go in and say something like E5:H10 to refer to that range, but
it would be far faster to be able to say something like “January Utilities.”
For whatever reason, this does not seem to work for me. I get a formula error
when I use sum(January utilities).

Could anyone recommend a resource with a more in depth explanation of how the
header referencing in Numbers works?

Thanks for any help.

Greg