I was one of the first people to report this problem to the VoiceOver
community. All sound preferences were set properly, and no amount of mail
sound to tweaking restored the new mail sound. I reported the problem to
Apple and was told by a rep that he had run into the problem with some
users, but it is not on the list of El Capitan emerging issues. For this
and other reasons, I rolled back to Yosemite 10.10.5.

Craig

list.