Alex, you said something potentially helpful.  Referring to my
perceived mispronunciation of the end of "regards," you wrote: "my
brain hears what it expects at the end of 'regards'. "  It may well be
that I am not sufficiently tuned into Alex's accent to allow my brain
to make the proper closure.  Eloquence and the iOS voices I mention
have similar inflections and word spacings; in other words, despite
differences in voice quality, their rhythms sound to me quite similar.
Alex, on the other hand, often glides from word to word.  I'll give
myself more time with Alex and see how I manage.

I do know about the free downloadable Nuance voices for the Mac.  I
have downloaded Tom and Samantha and find them easier to comprehend
than Alex.  However, it seems to me that Alex's bandwidth is broader,
allowing for a more open, realistic sound as compared to the more
restricted, or pinched, tone of Samantha and Tom.  Tom speaks at a
slightly lower volume as well.  I hope I don't seem too compulsively
picky; I'm just making observations.

Craig

list.