When I opened Safari back up the same controlling pop ups appeared.  I was able
to force quit the app.  I ran another scan, which came up clean.  I even
scanned the Safari app.

After doing some Googling, I held down shift while launching Safari from the
doc.  Safari opened like normal & I cleared history & all website data.

Is there anything else I can do to know if there are embedded malware files in
my system?

Thank you,
Traci

> On Feb 11, 2016, at 3:26 PM, Ray Foret Jr <rforet7...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Most likely, you ran across a piece of web malware which, had you attempted
> to interact with it, it would have infected your system.  YOu seem to have
> taken the correct action.  I myself was hit by such an  attempt not too long
> ago.  When I clicked on a site, I heard a very loud 1KHZ tone and got an
> alert message saying that because of a third party application, my unit was
> infected and to call a number to get help.  Of course, I knew better and was
> able to get out of it.  Seems to me there's more and more of this stuff
> popping up every day.
>
> Good for you for taking the action you did.
>

> Sent from my Mac, The Only computer with full accessibility for the blind
> built-in
>
> Sincerely, The Constantly Barefooted Ray,
>
> Still a very happy Comcast XFinity Voice Guidance, Mac, Verizon Wireless
> iPhone6+ and Apple TV user!
>
>> On Feb 11, 2016, at 5:14 PM, Traci Duncan <our4p...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:our4p...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Okay, this is a first for me on my Mac.  I went to the site IX Converter
>> .com to convert a video, and all sorts of pop ups appeared when I clicked
>> convert.  I could not get out of them.  An audible message kept repeating
>> about a security threat & call this number.
>>
>> I forced shutdown my Mac, waited a minute, then started it back up.  I
>> opened ClamXav, updated definitions & ran a scan.  I don’t know the ins &
>> outs of this app, so not sure how thorough the scan was, but it came up
>> clean.
>>
>> Do y’all have further suggestions to ease my mine.  I’ve never had a
>> security thing like this on my Mac.  *A little freaked out.  ;)
>>
>> Thanks so much,
>> Traci
>> PS. I’m a big user of keychain across my devices, so that may raise another
>> security vulnerability.

>> Visionaries list.

>> Your Mac Visionaries list moderator is Mark Taylor and your owner is Cara
>> <mailto:caraqu...@caraquinn.com>

>> <http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries@googlegroups.com/>
>> ---

> list.