Actually, the latest and greatest voice recognition systems are amazingly
accurate after they have been adequately trained.  "Adequate" training does
thak hundreds of hours of use and being incredibly faithful to correcting the
mistakes the software makes.  Few people who can type are willing to go through
this arduous process.

I think something like keyboards will, for long form writing, be around for a
long time but I could see the next generation of smart phones having adequate
dictation software installed for text messages and other short bits of
communication that doesn't really require seriously formal writing and a few
mistakes doesn't really matter.

Voice recognition without training, however, is another holy grail that the
serious research types need to solve.

cdh